Flickr

phlyersphan. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr

Monday, February 11, 2008

Project 365: Feb 11, 2008

Mixing chemistry in the darkroom

Today, I developed my first roll of film in the darkroom. This is a shot of all of my chemistry, ready to go into the developing tank. Jessica was my mixing partner, and we were totally rock stars - first ones mixed and ready at 68 degrees. It was a bit of a challenge, as the subzero temps outside resulted in a shortage of warm water on campus. The water in the darkroom was coming out of the faucets at 42 degrees, so our instructor had to get a bucket of hot water from the cafeteria so that we could mix the hot with cold to get our chemistry to 68 degrees. I explained how to get 68 degree water from 42 degree water and 108 degree water. (With a 66 degree difference between the two, just about equal parts of each would get us in the ballpark of 68 degrees). With that, we were good to go.

Two of my shooting buddies from the summer class are also in this class - Gloria and Rhonda. Good times! I snapped a few pics of us on my Blackberry to commemorate our first day in the darkroom.

Wednesday, we'll learn how to make a proof sheet.

No comments: