Flickr

phlyersphan. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr

Monday, May 26, 2008

Feeling Inspired

I had an encouraging experience yesterday. Last week, I went on a photo walk in downtown Springfield, IL. I concentrated on shooting my latest self assignment, Circles. I wasn't feeling inspired. Nothing was catching my eye. I shot anyway. Later that night, when walking downtown to a restaurant for dinner (sans camera), I saw all sorts of things that I wished I'd shot. I figured it was just another missed opportunity.

Yesterday, I finally got around to pulling those photos off of my camera. Something strange happened: the photos were inspiring me! Somehow, in that lackluster afternoon, I made pictures that I actually liked - a few of which I liked a lot.

I'm in the early stages of my photography "career." I use the word career in its broadest sense here - my chosen pursuit. At this point in my life, I've become very comfortable with certain pursuits - computers, for example. I am extremely confident when dealing with them, and have very few moments of uncertainty. In photography, though, it's the opposite. I have not much confidence in executing my fledgling photographic skills, and have many moments of uncertainty.

For that reason, days like yesterday are really encouraging and inspiring.

I'm really pleased with my Circles collection, as a whole. It feels good to look at the world with an, "I can do this!" attitude.

Cold as Crystal

Click the image above to view my Circles set on Flickr.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: