Flickr

phlyersphan. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr

Friday, November 9, 2007

Comet Holmes

I was able to finally see Comet Holmes tonight through a mostly clear sky in Chicagoland. (Here's the full story on where this comet came from).

Since there is a lot of light pollution around here, bumping the ISO beyond 400 made for very noisy photos. (15 seconds was recommended, as stars move, and anything longer results in star trails/blur). ISO 800 allowed me to get a good exposure reading at 15 seconds, but the photos were very noisy. So I stuck with ISO 400. I think I was able to get away with 30 seconds - there are minor star trails but the comet itself seems OK. The second photo is a crop of the first.

I used manual focus and a remote shutter release to avoid camera shake.

Comet Holmes

Comet Holmes

Exposure: 30 sec (30)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 300 mm
ISO Speed: 400
Exposure Bias: 0/3 EV
Flash: Flash did not fire

No comments: