Flickr

phlyersphan. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr

Sunday, November 11, 2007

I-355 Tollway, Opening Eve

Well, the I-355 tollway south extension (dubbed "Veterans Memorial Tollway") opens sometime late tonight for tomorrow's rush hour traffic. I was able to drive the half mile down the road to the closest overpass and snap a few photos. There was a police vehicle here and there driving along the tollway, but I got a few shots with no cars in them. I figured, this is the first major tollway to open around here in 20 years, and how often do you get to see a tollway with NO cars on it?

I didn't spend much time messing around with camera settings, as I was certain cops were going to come arrest me at any moment, thinking I was a kid throwing shit off the bridge or something. (My tendency towards paranoia over getting in trouble for trespassing-like violations will likely not serve me well in photography and storm chasing - I will have to learn to get over it!)

I probably should have used a higher aperture setting. I had my tripod with me but the shoulder wasn't very wide and I was afraid to set it up, lest it get hit by a passing car. I sat the camera on the concrete ledge of the bridge to take these shots.

Other overpasses have more to look at in terms of signs and whatnot, but this one is closest to home, has the least light pollution, and is on the least busy street. (I'd have never gotten away with parking alongside any of the other overpasses, as those are too busy with traffic).

Behold, the I-355 Veterans Memorial Tollway, South Extension, as seen from the Bruce Road overpass:

(Click the photo to see the set)
355_tollway-4.jpg

1 comment:

Tom Gill said...

YES! This extension took 35 minutes OFF my trip home from work!

I don't know what to do with all the extra time!