Flickr

phlyersphan. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Pinhole Body Cap



This is my very first shot with my homemade Canon EOS pinhole body cap, on my Digital Rebel. This was taken indoors in my dimly lit office, late at night, 30 second exposure, ISO100 (sitting on my desk). I wasn't sure the cap would work, as it was very crudely constructed (due to my inability to manipulate power tools with any level of skill).

I drilled a hole in one of the generic $1.00 EOS body caps I bought (I got two, just in case) - about a centimeter wide. (Of course, I drilled it off center - go me!) Then, similar to what I did for my modded plastic-cam pinhole, I sanded down a piece cut from a tinfoil container and poked a pinhole in it. I sanded down the pinhole and blew out the dust, then taped the pinhole to the outside of the body cap. (I read somewhere that putting it on the outside instead of the inside gives you just the right amount of distance to make it work like a 50mm normal lens on a camera with a smaller digital sensor, like my Rebel).

I also read somewhere that digital pinhole photography exposes every little bit of dust on your sensor - and holy crap. It makes me wonder how the thing even manages to take pictures! Oy.

I can't wait to try this outside. The soft sort of ethereal look will probably look pretty cool on landscapes or nature shots. A tripod is a must with the long exposures.

I'm hoping the weather stays dry enough tomorrow for me to go out shooting. I've got 4 things on my shooting agenda:

1. Finish up the roll of Tri-X b/w that's currently in my film Rebel.

2. Shoot a roll of color slide film for experimental class.

3. Shoot a roll of Ilford SFX 200 film (pseudo-infrared) for experimental class.

4. Try out the new digital pinhole body cap outside.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: