Flickr

phlyersphan. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr

Friday, August 3, 2007

Fun with Water

The happy water drop photo inspired me to try to get a happy water drop of my own! I wasn't quite as successful, but learned a bit for next time I try :)

First off, I took a lot of shots without the flash, and I just couldn't see the drops. In frustration, I switched to the close-up auto mode, and the flash popped up. OK, might as well try it... and, voila. Water drops. So I went back to aperture priority mode (I was copying settings from the happy water drop photo) and took a few more shots. I got a couple so-so shots - better than I thought I'd get, but not as good as I'd hoped, if that makes any sense!

Next time, I will start out using the flash, and will try some different settings. From the few shots I'm keeping, it seems my biggest problem is with focus. It's hard to focus on something as elusive as a water drop! What I ended up doing was setting the auto focus to one specific point, then got it to lock in a focus once. Then I switched to manual focus to maintain that focus setting. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.

These were taken in my kitchen sink :)

Here are a couple of the shots I kept:

My favorite of them:
waterdrops-2

One that I think would have been better if I got the focus on the drop itself:
waterdrops-6

One that came out in close-up auto mode - it bumped up to ISO400 and is a bit too noisy to do anything with, but the splash is kinda cool:
waterdrops

No comments: