Flickr

phlyersphan. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Lightning

After a few attempts this summer, I finally caught a shot of some lightning. We had some wicked storms roll through Chicago this past Thursday, and after I got home from work I couldn't resist grabbing the camera and trying to capture some of the amazing light show.

I didn't have time to brush up on my "how to shoot lightning" research, so I was guessing at camera settings. I used manual mode, set the focus to infinity, and used f/8 aperture with a shutter speed of 2.5 seconds. I had my long lens on, the 70-300mm with image stabilization. I think in future attempts I might want to go with a wide angle lens (though I don't have one yet! LOL - the kit lens 18-55mm that came with the Rebel is the widest angle I've got).

I vaguely recalled reading of a guy who would just set the camera on bulb mode and leave the shutter open for a couple minutes, then close and repeat. I tried longer shutter speeds like that, but there was a lot of flash lightning mixed in with the bolts, so it wasn't really working.

I was doing all of this from the safety of my bedroom, shooting from my window. This particular shot that I got was actually hand-held. I was pretty much pressing the camera between my body and the window, with the lens resting on the window sill. Eventually, I ran down to get my tripod, but by then most of the good lightning had passed.

I used Adobe Lightroom to fix the exposure a bit (it was overexposed), blacken the blacks, and add the purple tint. My free trial finally ran out on Lightroom, but I've enjoyed using it so much that I purchased it, along with the Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Book for Digital Photographers by Scott Kelby.

Lightning from Thursday's crazy storms

Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Exposure: 2.5 sec (5/2)
Aperture: f/8
Focal Length: 70 mm
ISO Speed: 100
Exposure Bias: 0/3 EV
Flash: Flash did not fire

No comments: