Flickr

phlyersphan. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr

Friday, October 12, 2007

Day Trip

I took a little day trip out to a couple nature preserves to try out my polarizer filter. I went to the Lockport Prairie Nature Preserve and to Lake Katherine in Palos Heights. I had higher hopes for the day. Some of the prairie shots turned out so-so, but I didn't have very good luck at Lake Katherine.

First, the polarizer filter seemed to cause more trouble than good (though, to be fair, I wasn't shooting many sky shots at Lake Katherine). The exposure just came out all wrong on most of my LK shots. The colors were drab and there seemed to be a haze on any photo that didn't have sun lighting. Anything in the shade turned out awful and washed out. I was surprised, considering that these filters are supposed to saturate colors and provide better contrast. It seemed like it did the opposite in most cases.

/edit: I have a feeling part of my color problems lie in the fact that I switched my in-camera color space to Adobe RGB 1998. My last two shoots have felt very drab. I'm switching my in-camera setting back to sRGB and we'll see what happens...

Some of the prairie shots with sky in them turned out decent, but I'm not fully convinced that it was due to the polarizer.

I'm pretty bummed, as I was careful to read lots of reviews when I bought this filter a few months ago. I knew I couldn't afford a "pro" filter, but this one was not cheap, either. It's a $75 B+W 58mm circular glass polarizer.

I could probably use more practice rotating the filter for proper effects, but all in all it was a disappointing outing.

Here's one "keeper" shot that I took. I have no idea what it is (probably a weed!), but I like the bokeh effect.

LockportPrairie_LakeKatherine-12

Here's the entire set of photos - at least the ones worthy of uploading:
Lockport Prairie & Lake Katherine Day Trip

1 comment:

Jim said...

Those are very detailed. I bought my wife a really nice Sony with face recognition, but it is still nowhere near as detailed as that.