Flickr

phlyersphan. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr

Saturday, July 21, 2007

First Try at Moon Shots

I took my first shot at moon photos tonight. I checked out the Shooting the Moon thread on the DPS Forums, as well as this Lunar Photography Exposure Guide (scroll down a little for the chart).

The moon in my area tonight is a day off of the first quarter moon, so according to the chart, at ISO100 and f/16, the shutter speed should be about 1/15. (The moon is not full, thus the longer shutter speed, instead of the sunny f/16 rule, which would be 1/100 shutter speed).

I shot with a tripod and a shutter release cable, and a polarizing filter (can't remember which article I read that in - to prevent over-exposure). I also set auto exposure bracketing, so I was snapping 3 shots at a time. Manual focus.

All shots were taken at 300mm.

Of the shots I kept, most were either taken at f/16 and 1/15, or f/8 and 1/15 or 1/20.

When I cropped the shots, though, all of them had this greenish speckling in the black areas. What is that? From too much light? Should I have used a faster shutter speed?

Is there any way I can get rid of it in Photoshop to salvage any of these shots?

I'll definitely try again, but would appreciate any feedback from anyone who can tell from my shots what I've done wrong this time :)

Several more shots (including uncropped ones) are here.

Thanks!!!!

moon-8

Exposure: 0.077 sec (1/13)
Aperture: f/8
Focal Length: 300 mm
ISO Speed: 100
Exposure Bias: 2/3 EV

No comments: