Flickr

phlyersphan. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr

Sunday, July 22, 2007

The Moon - Take Two!

I shot the moon again tonight. Turns out, the best picture I got was using the settings from this moon photography article, but kicked up to ISO200 instead of 100. From the couple hundred shots I took, here's what I found:

  • Anything over ISO200 generates way too much noise, so much that the outline of the moon is affected and it becomes pretty much unfixable.
  • Sunny f/16 doesn't catch enough light (f/16 and 1/00 or 1/125 shutter speed) - at least not at the first quarter moon. Maybe it would work for a full moon. Someday I'll try it.
  • Manual mode is a necessity, at least with my lens. Shutter priority wanted an aperture of 5.6, and none of those shots turned out. Aperture priority was calculating 30 second shutter times - obviously way too long.
  • Metering mode didn't seem to affect anything. I need to read up on this again.
  • Auto exposure bracketing was helpful. Tonight, I set it to 2 stops either way.
  • I removed the polarizer filter tonight and got much better shots than the other day.
I had much brighter shots tonight (due to removal of the polarizer filter?), and by increasing the blacks one notch in Lightroom, I was able to get rid of all that weird green noise. (It didn't work as well on my shots from the other day, as they weren't as bright and there was more noise in them). So - in the end, for both of these photos, I notched up the blacks by 1 or 2 to get rid of the noise in the blacks, and cropped them. I could probably even crop them further, but I like a little bit of darkness around them.

moon_1stQ_072207-60
Exposure: 0.067 sec (1/15)
Aperture: f/16
Focal Length: 300 mm
ISO Speed: 200
Exposure Bias: 0/3 EV
Flash: Flash did not fire

moon_1stQ_072207-61
Exposure: 0.01 sec (1/100)
Aperture: f/8
Focal Length: 300 mm
ISO Speed: 200
Exposure Bias: 2 EV
Flash: Flash did not fire

Hoorah for the moon! I think I like the first one better. Its detail seems finer. Thoughts?

1 comment:

Darrin Underwood said...

I like the first one a lot better, it is sharper. It looks like the only difference was the f stop of 16 vs 8. I have been trying to shoot the moon also. I saw that you tried both TV and AV mode. Manual or AV work well. If your camera has a spot meter mode, try that vs evaluative. This will give you faster exposure times and leave the black sky blacker. Without spot metering, the camera is taking that black sky into consideration and trying to stay open long enough to expose it to gray. Nice job.