Flickr

phlyersphan. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Photography Causes Sleep Deprivation

Photography causes sleep deprivation - news at 11.

:) Actually, my love of thunderstorms and subsequent desire to capture the all elusive lightening bolt on film (thanks to my new hobby) causes sleep deprivation, at least when a t-storm rolls in late at night when I'm about ready for bed.

I tried to snap some lightening last night. No, I don't have a tripod yet (well, I didn't as of last night! I picked up a cheap one on sale at Best Buy today, until I get my dream tripod from B&H Photo), and no, the shutter release cable I ordered hasn't arrived yet, but that didn't stop me from trying! There wasn't much streaky cloud-to-ground lightning going on last night, though, and I don't think I caught any. I haven't pulled the images off the memory card yet, but I'm pretty sure I hit an oh-fer last night.

I did, however, find some good resources on photographing lightning, for the next time I try!

How to Take Lightning Photos by Matthew Cole - there were a lot of lightning photography how-to's out there, but for some reason I found this one the most helpful. Maybe because his explanation of the process and f/stop explanations made the most sense to me?

Lightning Probability Radar
- a map from the National Weather Service (USA) showing the probability of lightning strikes over 3 hour time blocks. Go find a storm!

Current National Radar (USA) - found this link in Cole's article. I like it because it's simple, easy to read, and easy to zoom in on your area (just click the map).

I read a lot of other articles, but didn't bookmark any. Most sites were specific to how to photograph lightning with a film camera. I'd love to find some information specific to digital SLR's. If you know of any good sites for tips on how to photograph lightning, let me know!

No comments: